The clue was in the title all along and I just failed to see it.
It's like the studio and creative minds behind this disaster were so stoked with the idea of having Superman and Batman fight each other, they couldn't have a coherent thought after to come up with any form of a story. So they let Zack Snyder make a movie to satisfy the 10 year old in him.
Major spoilers ahead!
I thought there were 3 very strong, compelling ideas from the trailers, but the movie failed to delivery on them
1. Batman's aggression towards Superman. 3/4th of this movie is dedicated to this. In fact Batman wants to KILL Superman. And finally, when the moment arrives, Batman stops because his mother's first name is the same as Superman's mother's. And so they become the best of friends. Just like that.
2. People of earth's distrust of Superman, due to the events from the first movie. This too runs through most of the movie, with Superman trying to earn some brownie points by saving a few people. The fact that there is a public hearing against him, indicates that people are not buying it. But in the end, after his supposed death, why does he a get a military/hero style funeral? Why is the country mourning? Did I miss something? Especially since there is confusion on what happened during the hearing.
3. The public hearing: This should have been a really powerful scene. If Superman were to concede, then he'd be answerable to the people and he would not get to be the hero we know he is. The same, if he did not concede. I was giddy with anticipation when this scene started and was immensely disappointed when the Senator starts mumbling. Zack Snyder took the path of least resistance.
- - - - - -
I guess after the writer's gave up on the main ideas, they didn't care about smaller plot points
- Superman has no remorse for the destruction he caused in the first movie. In the big fight he smashes Batman through a building causing the building to collapse. Ditto for Doomsday, smashes him in to a power plant of some sort. He is not even thinking about anyone's safety.
- Just like in the first movie, there is an apocalypse level destruction. Superman himself contributes to some of it. Thousands are probably killed, but superman only saves Lois Lane
- Superman threatens Batman that he can easily kill Batman, twice. Sounds like a bully to me
- Batman STEALING from Lex Luthor so HE gets to exact revenge on Superman
- Batman uses guns, not to intimidate, but actually kill. He even dreams of gun battles.
- The govt. has Zod's body and the ship for 2 years. Luthor comes up with the idea that since the ship has a bio-metric security, he can use Zod's body to gain access. It did not cross anyone else's mind
- One alien craft/tech is lying in the Indian Ocean for 2 years. No nation/military has claimed it. Local fishermen are freely swimming to it and breaking away pieces
- The all powerful Kryptonian key has no security what so ever. Anyone can use it. Even Lex Luthor. It only unlocks EVERYTHING, why should it be secure?
- Kryptonians have banned the technology to create Doomsday. It's so dangerous, they decide not to remove it from the system but keep it, with so minimum security that it can be enabled with a simple voice command by a non-Kryptonian.
- There is no compelling reason behind Lex Luthor's hatred towards Superman. How does he stand to gain or lose?
- There is no villain, purpose, motive or problem to solve in the story. Doomsday appears so that Zack Snyder can once again have a city-leveling battle.
- Why is Doomsday angry with Superman? Since he is made from Zod & Luthor's genes, does anger/hatred towards someone pass through genes?
- When Batman steals the Kryptonite, it would have spoiled whatever Luthor had planned, but Luthor just eggs Superman to fight Batman like they were in cahoots. How does Luthor know what Batman has planned? How does he know about the battle royale. Has he read the comic?
- Why is Batman not suspicious of the other meta beings? Why does he think they are friendly and will help? And against what? Why does he think he will need their help? How come Luthor is in on this?
- Why does Luthor have well designed logos for each meta human?
- Why was wonder woman so concerned with being exposed? According to the photo, she had already revealed herself, in FULL COSTUME. So why the secrecy? And why come out of hiding when she sees lightening coming from the dome? She did not feel the need when world was practically getting destroyed in the first movie.
- Why does Luthor introduce Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent to each other? BW is a billionaire, but CK? Why would anyone care about him?
- Superman stops the car chase. Literally allowing the bad guys to escape. He may not like Batman's methods, but he couldn't figure out if Batman's giving a chase, he's after bad guys?!
- In the midst of deafening destruction Superman can hear Lois Lane. But his mother...his hearing, speed, x-ray vision...he doesn't even give it a shot. And of course Batman finds her in a jiffy because he is...
... the list goes on...but IMDb has a word limit...
I can't believe such a high profile movie had no thought put behind it. Amateur hour. A total disservice to a 75 year legacy and to the fans. I hope the remaining DC movies are scrapped or they finally pulls their socks up.